Alpine and Kenwood car audio brands offer a wide range of electronics, from entry-level to high-end, so there’s something for everyone. Today we are going to compare the two specifically for their car stereos and speakers.
I can remember my first Kenwood head unit it was a 45x4 the old school with the removable faceplate with two knobs.
Enough about my trip down memory lane, which of these two brands should you choose for your car?
When you're in the market for a dependable unit that won't compromise on sound quality, Alpine car stereo is your best bet. But if budget is an issue and you still want impressive features, Kenwood car stereo should be your go-to option.
Below are my top choices for Kenwood & Alpine car stereos
Are you undecided between Alpine and Kenwood car stereos? In this comparison article, I’ll break down the features of each brand as well as their sound quality reputation. Read on to get a better understanding of which stereo is ideal for your needs!
Alpine vs Kenwood - Top Picks
Kenwood DMX4707S 6.8" Digital Media Touchscreen Receiver w/ Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- KENWOOD’s multimedia receivers combine an intuitive voice controlled interface with a large touch screen and superior sound quality, making it the perfect complement for your in-car life. You can even listen to and control music from your favorite streaming services like Pandora and Spotify. Navigate to where you need to with Google Maps or Waze
- Using the Mirroring OA for Kenwood app, you can mirror the content from your Android (OS 7.0+) smartphone onto the touchscreen monitor of the Kenwood DMX4707S, you'll be able to enjoy video and audio playback. Your compatible Android smartphone must be connected to the DMX4707S via USB and Bluetooth. In addition to mirroring content from your Android smartphone, you'll also be able to control your Android device from the in-dash receiver's touchscreen
- Rear View Camera Input with Parking Guide Lines - An optional rear view camera enhances safety while backing up and monitoring behind your vehicle. Built-in, adjustable parking guidelines further add to its effectiveness. 13 Band Graphic EQ and Time Alignment - Use the graphic equalizer to tailor the sound quality to your unique tastes. Additional sound staging is available with the Time Alignment feature, designed to provide optimal sound performance
- The Kenwood DMX4707S features a fixed 6.8" widescreen capacitive touchscreen LCD with LED backlighting. The LCD touchscreen has a resolution of 800 (H) x 480 (V) x RGB with 1,152,000 total pixels. The capacitive touchscreen LCD provides a high contrast ratio, crystal clear display, and vivid text as well as highly responsive touchscreen operation
Alpine iLX-W650 7" Mech-Less Receiver Compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Digital media receiver with AM/FM tuner (does not play CDs).
- Shallow-mount chassis design (2-7/16" deep).
- Touchscreen swipe controls.
- Designed to work with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
- Hands-free control lets you access apps using your voice. built-in Bluetooth connectivity. enjoy music apps like Pandora and Spotify.
- Built-in amplifier (18 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels).
- USB port accommodates various devices and thumb drives.
- FLAC compatible.
- 7" capacitive touchscreen.
- Outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer).
Alpine vs Kenwood Car Stereos: Head-to-Head Comparison
A Kenwood car stereo produces top-notch audio products for both homes and cars, ranging from superior 24 Bit Sound DACs to more economical 8 Bit variants with 3 Band EQ.
- When it comes to Kenwood products, you can expect a ton of features and options along with unbeatable quality assurance; not only does the company provide a solid warranty but also exceptional customer service.
- In comparison to Alpine, these head units are less expensive, but in comparison to all other brands including JVC, Pioneer, & Jensen, you will be paying more.
An Alpine car stereo is widely regarded as a premium car electronics brand. Most head units feature 24 Bit sound DACs, which are just as reliable and high-quality as Kenwood and Pioneer.
- Overall their amps boast a better frequency balance and some of their low-cost speakers provide a fuller sound quality.
- Alpine offers a ton of great features, a wide range of options, and great warranties.
Trying to make a decision between Alpine and Kenwood car audio systems?
I have got you covered! Let's have a look at the most critical features of these two respected brands in order to help you determine which one is best for your needs.
You may be interested in: Alpine vs JBL - Battle of Two Speaker GIANTS!
When choosing between Alpine and Kenwood car stereos, you can expect both to deliver superior audio quality. From basic models to those of the highest premium stereos, each brand provides a range of options for any budget - so if you're seeking top-notch sound clarity, either company will have something perfect for you.
Alpine Sound Quality
With Alpine, you can appreciate extraordinary sound control and audio optimization through the use of their Tune application. In a few easy steps, you'll be able to achieve optimal levels of superior sound quality for an immersive listening experience!
Kenwood Sound Quality
Since 1961, Kenwood has shown its expertise in creating audio equipment that is durable, delivers great audio quality, and they have been at the forefront of launching products with new features. When comes to their car speakers, you can trust that Kenwood produces some of the highest-quality and best-performing ones on the market.
If you're looking for an upgrade from your standard factory speakers, try a set of Kenwood Excelon speakers—you won't be disappointed with their superior sound quality.
Overall Sound Quality Verdict:
While both the Alpine and Kenwood car stereos offer superior sound quality, Kenwood has a slight edge in terms of both affordability and features.
Alpine vs Kenwood Car Stereo Pricing
Alpine car stereos are typically more expensive than Kenwood ones, but you will often get your money's worth with the additional features they provide. Alpine is also renowned for producing durable and superior-quality products, so you can expect your stereo to last a long time.
Kenwood car stereos are more economical, but they don't provide quite as many features as Alpine ones do. The quality is still great and the audio performance is on par with that of Alpine's products, so if you're looking for a good bargain without sacrificing sound quality, Kenwood might the way to go.
Pricing For Alpine Speakers
Before choosing to upgrade your factory car speakers with Alpine, it's important to weigh the additional cost against its unique value. While Alpine speakers tend to be higher-priced than other brands in their class, they often offer features that are not found elsewhere.
Pricing For Kenwood Speakers
Kenwood speakers offer an excellent value amongst the competition, and their prices are tailored to your specific needs. Whether you are looking for a basic speaker system or a high-end set, Kenwood has something to fit your budget.
Overall Pricing Verdict
When it comes to car audio systems, both Alpine and Kenwood car stereo units offer superior audio quality and feature sets. If you're looking for an affordable yet reliable option with great features, then Kenwood is the way to go.
On the other hand, if you're looking for an upgrade with more features and higher audio quality, then Alpine could be your best bet. Ultimately, it all depends on your budget and what's important to you in a car stereo system.
Design & Features:
Alpine Offers More Features
In comparison to Kenwood models, Alpine car stereos are packed with a wide range of features and functions that elevate the audio experience. Whether you're looking for built-in GPS navigation or advanced touchscreen displays, Alpine offers something for everyone.
While Kenwood doesn't have as many features as Alpine, they still deliver reliable performance with a variety of great features. Many Kenwood models feature built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming along with variable color illumination to match your interior lighting. From a user-experience perspective, Kenwood car stereos are designed with convenience and simplicity in mind.
Design & Features Verdict
Both Alpine and Kenwood offer great features for your car audio needs, but an Alpine car stereo does provide more options when it comes to its product line. If you're looking for a system that has all the bells and whistles, then Alpine is the way to go. Otherwise, Kenwood provides reliable performance with a variety of great features that are sure to give you an immersive listening experience.
Both Kenwood and Alpine car stereos are designed to provide long-lasting performance. Both companies are known for producing durable head units that are designed to withstand the elements and provide a great audio experience. I have a 4 and a 7-year-old and they like to push buttons, basically smacking the head unit. If it can withstand the craziness of kids, they are durable in my book.
If you held a gun up to my head and forced me to choose, I am going with Alpine.
Are Alpine Car Stereos Good Quality?
An Alpine car stereo offer excellent sound quality with cutting-edge technology, making them the perfect pick for your audio needs. Crafted to precision and simple to use, these products boast fashionable designs that are pleasing on the eyes.
While their price tags match up with their superior standard of quality, it is still wise to research any reported issues other customers have encountered before buying; this way you can guarantee that your Alpine car stereo lives up to all your expectations.
- If you're searching for a top-notch car stereo, look no further than an Alpine Car Stereo. With an array of options to fit any requirement or budget, the sound quality is guaranteed to impress with built-in equalizers and preamps. In addition, some incredible features like GPS navigation, touchscreen displays, Bluetooth connection, Apple and Android auto, hands-free calling are included in many models - all while being incredibly reliable and durable.
Although most Alpine car stereos are user-friendly, more feature-rich models may require technical know-how. Additionally, although the prices of these products are quite reasonable when compared to similar brands, they might be slightly pricier than you expect.
What Are Some of the Best Alpine Car Stereos?
Here are the top three Alpine head units that I recommend:
ALPINE iLX-W650 7" Digital Media Bluetooth Carplay Receiver+License Plate Camera
- Works with CarPlay. Works with Android Auto and the Google Assistant. SiriusXM-Ready (SXV300 Connect Vehicle Tuner Kit sold separately; SiriusXM subscription required). Works with Pandora Music for lphone and Android phones. Rear camera input (camera sold separately). FLAC/MP3/WMA/AAC/HE-AAC music playback via USB
- Compatible with the KTA-450 Power Pack Amplifier (sold separately) via PowerStack installation. The iLX-W650 used with the KTA-450 is a 2019 CES Innovation Awards Winner. Specifications: Compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required). USB port accommodates various devices and thumb drivesxternal microphone included
- Built-in amplifier (16 watts RMS/40 peak x 4 channels). CTA-2006 compliant. Features: RockvilIe RBC5B (Black Chrome) Adjustable Angle Rearview Back-up Camera, Universal License Plate Mount. Night Vision: PC6070 Image Sensor. Waterproof & Fog Resistant. Easy Installation. Auto Turn-on. 420 TV Lines. 648H x 488V. Low Light Sensitivity: 0.01 LUX. 170 Wide View Angle. True Color Reproduction
- Automatic White Balance. Universal License Plate Mount. Guidance Distance Grid. Includes: DC Power Cable, RCA Video Control Cable, Mounting Screws
Alpine iLX-W650 7" Mech-Less Receiver Compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- digital media receiver with AM/FM tuner (does not play CDs)
- shallow-mount chassis design (2-7/16" deep)
- touchscreen swipe controls
- designed to work with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- hands-free control lets you access apps using your voice
ALPINE UTE-73BT Digital Media Advanced Bluetooth Car Receiver w/AUX/USB+Remote
- Mech-less AM/FM tuner with RBDS information. FLAC/MP3/WMA/AAC audio file compatibility via USB. Made for lpod and lphone (requires KCU-445i, sold separately). Android AOA 2.0 compatible. Works with Pandora Music for lphone and Android phones
- Built-in Bluetooth wireless technology with audio streaming. Front USB port and AUX port. 1-line, high-contrast LCD display with RGB illumination. Three preouts (2V). Built-in 18W x 4 amplifier (at CTA-2006 rating). 24-Bit DAC. 3-band parametric EQ. High pass/Low pass crossover. Bass Engine SQ
- Steering wheel remote and wireless remote ready. KTP-445A Power Pack Ready. CTA-2006 Power Rating: 18W x 4. Max Power Output: 50W x 4. What's in the Box: Owner's manual. Wireless remote control. Wireless remote control
Are Kenwood Car Stereos Good Quality?
Kenwood is an excellent option - the sound quality is exceptional, and its features are outstanding. Plus, its installation process is straightforward; many models even permit users to link up to five phones at once! Despite this, as with Alpine products, there's potential for issues just like any other product. If you're looking for an impressive car stereo that ticks all the boxes of your requirements from performance to convenience, look no further than Kenwood.
- Kenwood Car Stereo Pros are the perfect choice for anyone looking to upgrade their car audio system. Not only do they provide exceptional sound quality with deep bass and crisp highs, but they also come equipped with a range of features like Bluetooth connectivity, hands-free calling, iPod/iPhone control - all at an affordable price.
While Kenwood car stereos tend to be popular among drivers, there are some drawbacks that should be taken into account. For one thing, some of the company's customers have reported less durability in comparison to Alpine car stereo models. Most critically, the mid-range sound in various Kenwood products is not to the standard of Alpine and this can significantly detract from your listening experience while on the go!
What Are Some of the Best Kenwood Car Stereos?
Here are the top three Kenwood head units that I recommend:
Kenwood Excelon DDX6906S 6.8" Double-DIN Multimedia DVD Receiver
- KENWOOD's multimedia receivers combine an intuitive voice controlled interface with a large touch screen and superior sound quality, making it the perfect complement for your in-car life. With the latest ANDROID OS version (PIE and higher), Google Maps and Waze are also supported.
- Connect your iPhone or Android device to access and control the most popular music application sources. Simply install the Spotify and/or Pandora apps on your device, then connect iPhone (USB or Bluetooth) or Android (Bluetooth only) to enjoy music playback.
- Two camera inputs provide users the ability to add both a front and rear camera for enhanced driver safety and convenience. Built-in, adjustable parking guidelines further add to its effectiveness.
- When an Automotive Data Solutions iDatalink Maestro RR is connected to a compatible KENWOOD receiver, it provides a seamless interface with factory infotainment features such as Satellite Radio, USB Media Player, Bluetooth hands-free and music streaming. Vehicle information such as HVAC, performance information, and TPMS can also be displayed.
KENWOOD DDX5707S Double Din DVD Car Stereo
- Big Touchscreen - The 6.8" widescreen is capacitive a touchscreen LCD with LED backlighting. The capacitive touchscreen LCD provides a high contrast ratio, crystal clear display, and vivid text as well as highly responsive touchscreen operation.
- Media Playback - Use the USB port to watch movies or listen to your favorite music. Tune into the AM/FM radio stations for up to date music/news/sports amd more. Plays High Resolution FLAC, Access additional music, sports and entertainment content on the go with SiriusXM Radio. (Optional SiriusXM tuner required, sold separately) Android USB Mirroring Solution for seamlessly displaying and controlling your smartphone apps on a screen via a USB connection on select Android devices
- Cameras and Audio - Rear View Camera Input with Parking Guide Lines An optional rear view camera enhances safety while backing up and monitoring behind your vehicle. Built-in, adjustable parking guidelines further add to its effectiveness. 13 Band Graphic EQ and Time Alignment - Use the graphic equalizer to tailor the sound quality to your unique tastes. Additional sound staging is available with the Time Alignment feature, designed to provide optimal sound performance
KENWOOD KDC-BT282U CD Car Stereo - Single Din, Bluetooth Audio
- SMARTPHONE CONNECTIVITY: Enjoy convenient control of popular apps like Spotify and Pandora, built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calls and streaming music, as well as the ability to use your smartphone like a wireless remote control with the KENWOOD Remote app.
- AUDIO QUALITY: Sound quality enthusiasts will love the playback support of various types of music formats including FLAC files. Simple on-screen or app-assisted sound customization is also available for the EQ & Digital Time Alignment.
- EXPANDABILITY: Inputs include front-panel USB port and aux input and 2-channel preamp outputs (2.5-volt rear/subwoofer). Includes high quality external microphone.
- LANGUAGE OPTIONS: Screen text display available in English, Spanish, and French.
- INSTALLATION SIZE (WxHxD): 7-3/16" x 2-1/16" x 6-1/8" (182 x 53 x 155.5mm)
Alpine vs Kenwood Wrap Up
Between Alpine and Kenwood car stereos, it is ultimately a personal preference. While both promise fantastic sound quality with many features as well as user-friendly design, there are some key differences. Alpine tends to cost more while Kenwood has a few more features.
Hi & Welcome!
My name is Jeremy and I have been an avid car nut for many year. My first car was an 1987 Honda CRX. I put a Kenwood head unit and CB Radio in it and have been an avid user of CBs and car radios for years. I'll do my best to share my tips, information and thoughts to help you with what ever question you might have, ABOUT ME